Our Band

Our Band
On stage at the 3rd Section Nationals Finals, Harrogate 2008

Wednesday 15 September 2010

'I Shall Rise Again'

As you may have read in the comments from the previous post, 'Resurgam' by Eric Ball has been selected as the 2nd Section test piece for the Areas 2011.
Putting my initial reaction aside, I've heard the piece (admittedly only once so far so I haven't made my mind up about liking it), but it is going to be a stern test for the band. Okay, it may not be full of semi-quaver runs, clashing chords, complicated percussion parts etc., but it, as Howard rightly said in an earlier comment, it will test warm of sound, muscianship and intonation.

I've done a bit of background searching about 'Resurgam', and, not surprisingly as it sounds very 'hymn-like' in places, it's origin seems steeped in religious undertones, allowing the listener to contemplate the fact that what may appear to be pain and loss is often gain and victory in a spiritual sense. Even from death, 'I shall rise again'.'

To give some indication of how difficult it is likely to be, it was used as the test piece for the British Open in 1950, so played by Championship Section bands of the day. Despite usually being put off brass music such as this mainly down to it's age, I'm looking forward to working on this. I can only seeing it improving the band, particularly with our intonation.
I found the picture of Eric Ball here

3 comments:

  1. Good rehearsal yesterday. Just shows that 'blasts from the past' aren't necessarily all bad. There's a lot to learn from playing music of this ilk from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Howard, its a great piece and was a very good start yesterday.
    If Resurgam was used in the championship section next year alot of bands would still struggle to play it properly - its about getting all the basics of playing right, most band's can't manage that even the top ones!

    To hear it at its best, I recommend Grimethorpe's cd 'History of brass band music, the Golden Era'. Absolutely cracking cd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howard and Matt, I also agree. Purcell Variations is coming along nicely, with 2 months still to go. And Resurgam. Well, as I've already said previously, my initial reaction when I read this is what we'd be playing next March, I wasn't too sure. Then I listened to a recording of Black Dyke playing it and didn't mind it at all. Now having played through it, I'm going to enjoy working on it. It will push the band (and my playing style as well), but it will definitely improve the bands intonation and playing togther as a unit. As Matt says, getting the basics right.

    ReplyDelete