Our Band

Our Band
On stage at the 3rd Section Nationals Finals, Harrogate 2008

Friday 4 February 2011

That's Entertainment

Three words . . . . Venezuelan Brass Ensemble. I read about this group of brass players here and knew I had to find out more. So I checked out youtube and found this. I urge you to watch this and not be amazed at the playing, but, more so, without a smile on your face. I couldn't stop grinning when I watched this clip. And neither could the exceptional musicians performing (yes, performing, not simply playing) the music. To see players on stage and clearly enjoying themselves is truly refreshing.

They have an CD available and I so nearly purchased it from iTunes. But didn't, because I would be missing out on the whole experience of the Ensemble; yes, technically they are superb (check out some of their other videos), but I would be missing their joy and exhuberance of playing; and the audience reaction.

This got me thinking; do brass bands take themselves too seriously? I'm not saying that we should go on stage, particularly at a contest, grinning like Cheshire cats. But, we are still performing to an audience, whether it's in Stevenage at the Areas, or Hunstanton bandstand in the summer. I now see where Nigel is coming from when he tells us to enjoy performing on the contest stage, let alone when playing concerts. Afterall, we have spent several months working hard on a 12 minute piece of music; don't we deserve to savour the moment . . . and enjoy it?

You can find out more about the Venezuelan Brass Ensemble, and the fascinating 'Music as a social program of the Venezuelan State', which nuture this talent here. And enjoy another version of Leonard Bernstein's 'Mambo' from West Side Story here, just watch the audience and performers' interaction without smiling.

9 comments:

  1. Quite right Shaun we should savour the moment, David Stowell made us think about the audience when he discussed Resurgem. There has never been a "bragging culture" in the band, whatt I mean is that the band has never been an institution to promote how good it is, maybe we need to think in a different way, start believing that we have something to offer to the public, I dont think we should say "come and hear us because we are awesome, that is just arrogant, we just need to think it. The team spirit in the band is high, everyone pulling together, concerts are after all time to showcase the band. Contests are all about grading and performance but under clinical conditions, concerts are about presentation, performance, enjoyment and fun, lets embrace it and show everyone how far we have come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true,but it applies to a less extent to the park jobs and more to proper evening concerts where the more u do the better you'll get at them.

    I'm glad the venelualen brass ensemble has been spotted by u shaun as I saw their write up on 4br recently and found them on YouTube. wow!!!

    they are slick but professional, its all rehearsed. i think you need the stage discipline for this to work not to mention to enjoy the music. we need more evening concerts to prove ourselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew & Matt - I agree with all the points you make. And Matt, like you, I definitely think we need more evening concerts to really show our audiences what we are capable of from an entertainment prespective; but also for the band to really enjoy the entertainment aspect; something I find is missing when we turn out for outdoor summer gigs each week (although I appeciate that we need these to keep the band improving and to keep the coffers coming in).

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG is all I can say about Venelualen brass ensemble, AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracey, they sure are. Take a look at the Venezuelan Orchestra clip I also linked to, even better!!

    4barsrest has a couple of interesting interviews up today about contesting from Sandy Smith and David Read:
    http://4barsrest.com/articles/2011/1209.asp
    http://4barsrest.com/articles/2011/1208.asp

    The Sandy Smith one is particularly interesting about scrapping single test piece contests and making them own choice, particularly the National Championships. I have to say that I agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps the National Finals organisers could consider the European example as an option; set test and own choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howard, I like that idea, but it would make it a long-winded process for the qualifiers? Could work for the Final, or is that what you meant?

    I do like the idea of an own choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, just for the finals. Read in The Bandsman that the French Nationals are using a two test piece system. Seems that UK lags behind a bit occasionally. Too much 'tradition' perhaps ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howard, that idea is being experimented in one or two championship contests this year, namely the english national, but I think the reason for it not becoming popular is its just too much for lower section bands who mostly struggle with just 1 test piece alone! be interesting to see it in top section contests though

    ReplyDelete