Our Band

Our Band
On stage at the 3rd Section Nationals Finals, Harrogate 2008

Thursday 17 June 2010

It's All In The Arrangement


I have a confession to make. One that I'm not particularly ashamed of, but one that I never thought I would make. I like playing 'My Fair Lady'. No, that's not correct. I really like playing 'My Fair Lady'. There, I've said it!

Throughout my banding life, I've never been a fan of suites from shows and films, particuarly those from a bygone era; shows that many would deem classics (and having not seen them, who am I to disagree?). But our audiences like to hear them, and that's all that matters.

I've been thinking about why I've taken a shine to this one, and it's down to the arrangement. As simple as that. We've played a few Alan Fernie arrangements and compositions ('Ticket to Ride' and 'Alpine Lullaby' spring to mind), and I like these too. I can't put my finger on what he does to make them good to play. Maybe it's the clever touches (I love the cornet 'wedding bell' effect towards the start of 'My Fair Lady'). It could be that the individual parts seem to be interesting to play (well, the 1st baritone part is). Maybe he has a knack of making relatively old music sound fresh and not twee. Whatever it is, I like it. I may not be saying this in a few months time after playing it throughout the summer, but somehow I think I will.

Now, I wonder if Alan Fernie has done an arrangement of music from one of my all time films (yes, I know I'm about to contradict most of what I've just said), 'The Wizard of Oz'....?

6 comments:

  1. It's a shame that the Briam Halls arrangement of My Fair Lady never survived. That guy was an absolute genius in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin, good to see you are reading and commenting on the blog. Although I didn't play in the band when Brian was conducting, he did conduct the brass band at the FE Centre in March on Saturday mornings, which I fondly remember. I got a taste of his arrangements then.

    If he's reading this, I'm expecting Mr Keene to comment on my subsequent 'defection'.....

    Back to the arrangements of show music, I think some of my dis-like for them stems from many of those I played in my earlier banding days were from the pen of Edrich Siebert....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Fair Lady - well yes I do like the current arrangement, after years of playing Brian's arrangement I was never sure that I would like another however this seems to tick the boxes. I do like the fact that it fits on the stand where the BH arrangement was too big if my memory serves me correct. Great to hear from you Kevin, how is the guitar playing? By the way Mr Pope my surname is Keen, I will discuss this with you further tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew,

    Guitar playing is going well. Sue brought me a Strat for my 50th Birthday in January, so having fun with that. Still got the old Tele though! Are you still playing Guitar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Kevin, very much so, now in a band with my wife Jude, 1st gig tomorrow night, enloy the strat, I am jealous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the Gig. What's the name of the Band?

    ReplyDelete